CTC Final

The treble is secured as Tehidy defeat Bude 6.75 – 6 in a tense final, played at St Enodoc.

Full report to follow.

Tehidy Park Golf Club wrote the final chapter in their treble chasing winter campaign when they secured the CTC title against Bude & North Cornwall to add to the Frank Wills & Cornwall Bowl trophies they already proudly display in their trophy cabinet.


The defending champions of the last two years clinched victory at a sun-kissed St. Enodoc, but only after an intense battle with a determined Bude team.


After the morning series of foursomes, nobody would have blamed Bude for harbouring thoughts of an upset when they took a 3 – 1 lead. However, the Tehidy team were given a boost when John Piner Jnr. won his ‘ninth man’ singles on the 18th green after being two down with four to play. The singles match is contested to settle the outcome of a 6 – 6 score-line and would prove very important by the end of the days golf.


Mike Reynard was charged with getting Tehidy Park back on course, and duly obliged by dismissing the challenge of Colin Willis in the top singles match on the 15th green. When Ian Veale defeated County player, Rob Cook in match two on the 16th green the scene was set with the match score now at 3 – 3.


John Piner Snr and Andrew Clotworthy, playing in matches five & six respectively then weighed in with big wins against Simon Greatbatch (15th green) and Steve Rickard (13th green) to produce an overall score-line of 5 – 3 in Tehidy’s favour, and with news that Aaron Ashcroft was four holes up after the front nine the signs were good for a third consecutive win.


Peter Simmons, playing in match four suffered a rare defeat against Martin Bell on the 17th green just as older brother Richard was grinding out a halved match with Josh Greenaway, courtesy of winning holes seventeen & eighteen, the eighteenth with a stunning birdie, where he hit his approach shot to 12 inches. (5 ½ – 4 ½).


Tehidy now awaited the score of the Ashcroft / Bridges match as they came into view on the 15th tee, and it was to their amazement that the match was now level, with Bridges having won four holes in a row. Worse was to follow as Ashcroft three putted the 16th hole to fall behind, and when they halved the last two holes to give Bridges a win the match now rested on the Colin George / Gary Stone singles with the score now evenly poised at 5 ½ a piece.


George stood on the 17th tee one down, and therefore had to win a hole if Tehidy were to defend their title and complete the unprecedented treble. He duly obliged to the roars of his supporters when he holed a tricky three foot putt on the 17th green to level his match. He was now left with the task of not losing the 18th hole. He safely found the green in regulation figures, but still had a tricky putt to negotiate before being able to relax. As the ball rolled to the hole side the cheers got louder and when Stone conceded George’s putt for par the score–line stood at 6 – 6 and the importance of Piner Jnr’s win earlier in the day materialised.