Frank Wills Final

Tehidy Park Golf Club defended the Frank Wills team title they won last year with an emphatic victory over opponents Newquay.

The 5 – 0 win Tehidy recorded in last years final was a far closer game than the score suggested, but there was no mistaking the magnitude of this years win, when once again Tehidy won 5 – 0.

Expectations were high in both camps as the teams took to the links of St. Enodoc on a fine, bright March morning. Tehidy were attempting the first defence of the title since Truro Golf Club achieved the feat in 1988 & 1989 and Newquay were looking for their first win in the event since 1994.

With the final being played over 36 holes the lunch time score favoured Tehidy, who were ahead in three games, whilst being level in one and 1 down in the other.

The top match pitted the Tehidy pairing of Martin Trewhella & Greg Taylor against Nigel Dunstan & Josh Hancock. Re-commencing the afternoon round with nothing to separate the pairs it was Trewhella & Taylor who suddenly found their form and played their way to a 5&4 win.

Attention turned to match two between Carl Band & James Barnard (Tehidy) against Tony Marsland & Greg Kotenko. Early nerves were understandably evident from the youngster, Barnard, but he and partner Band were quickly into their stride and foud themselves six holes to the good after 27 holes played, before closing out the game on the 30th hole with a 7&6 win.

Last years Treble winning Captain, David O’Mahony featured in match three with partner Bob Cope against David Chapman & Dave Partridge. This match would prove to be the closest of the five games, and after 28 holes the score was locked at all square. Two pars followed for the Tehidy pair, which afforded them a two-hole lead, however this was pegged back to one after 31 holes. Queue a sudden surge from O’Mahony & Cope, who reeled off the next three holes to win by a score of 4&2.

Now holding an unassailable lead, two matches remained on the course, and they were also to go the way of the defending champions. Match four between Terry Clotworthy & Mark Prouse (Tehidy) against Chris Case & Steve Liddicoat was always in the control of the Tehidy pair, who lunched two holes to the good. The lead increased to five holes after 27 holes played, which was held onto for a 5&4 win.

Mike Eddy & Andy Kearney, who are well known to the Newquay team propped up the Tehidy effort and faced opposition in the form of Justin Bond & Jon Brierley. The Tehidy pair certainly saved their best performance for the final and after 26 holes were eight holes to the good. Bond & Brierley dug deep to reduce the deficit to four holes but eventually ran out of holes, leaving the pairings to shake hands on the 33rd hole, culminating in a 4&3 win for Eddy & Kearney.

As Eddy & Kearney celebrated their win the Tehidy Captain, Ken Rule, along with the rest of the team, caddies and supporters celebrated a second successive 5 – 0 win in the final.

Tehidy return to St. Enodoc next Sunday (8 March) for the CTC Final, where they will take on Trevose Golf Club. It promises to be a belter !