CTC Quarter Final

Having narrowly missed out on winning the Cornwall Team Championship for a fourth consecutive year, when losing to Trevose in the final last year, there was further disappointment for the Tehidy team when they fell at the first hurdle of the 2010 campaign!

The previous four years had seen Tehidy account for Perranporth on no less than three occasions in this competition, however it was a much improved Perranporth team that turned up for this match, that was originally abandoned back in November owing to gale force winds.

In contrast to the weather on that occasion and indeed the extreme conditions of late, the teams were treated to a bright January day, and some of the golf on show did not disappoint either set of supporters.

The morning foursomes were an exceptionally close affair with three matches going to the 18th green, leaving Perranporth with a narrow advantage.

Richard & Peter Simmons halved Kirton & MacGregor

Ian Morgan & Alan Lieske lost Fleming & Taylor 1 down

Ian Veale & John Piner lost Wilson & Llewelyn 1 down

Colin George & Andy Clotworthy won Harris & Pepper 3&2

Tehidy were however offered a glimmer of hope when Nathan Hancock, making his CTC debut, playing at 9th man registered an emphatic 8 & 6 win over Nathan Gilbert. (Well done Nathan).

Tehidy were now left with the task of compiling 4.5 points from the 8 singles matches to win. Alan Lieske got Tehidy under way and secured a half with Adam Taylor in the top match. Ian Morgan narrowly missed out on registering the come-back of the day when trailing by four holes with only four holes left to play against Chris Fleming. Despite winning the 15th, 16th & 17th holes Morgan could only half the 18th to eventually lose his match 1 down.

The task was about to become yet more difficult when a flawless performance by Rob MacGregor, who was 6 under par after 13 holes, accounted for Richard Simmons in the third match.

Requiring 4 points from the remaing 5 matches on the course Ian Veale got Tehidy back on track with a fine performance of his own, being 4 under par for the 12 holes played as he defeated Sandy Kirton. Peter Simmons quickly backed up that win with a point of his own, defeating Chris Llewelyn on the course that Llewelyn won the County Championship in 2001, by a score of 2&1.

With Colin George in a commanding position against Nic Pepper and Andy Clotworthy struggling against Dave Harris all eyes turned to the John Piner / Conor Wilson match, which Piner led on the 16th tee by two holes. Cue the Wilson comeback, who won the 16th & 17th holes before hanging on for a half on the 18th hole with a ’gutsy’ 4 foot putt to see Perranporth through.

The end result of four exciting hours of matchplay golf was 4 points a piece and a narrow victory for Perranporth, who will now play St. Enodoc in the semi-final on 21 February, with defending champions Trevose taking on West Cornwall.