Cornwall Team Championship – Q/F

Having lost to St. Enodoc in the first round of the Cornwall Team Championship (CTC) last year Tehidy Park had another opportunity to test their resolve against the defending champions in the quarter-final match, which was staged at Newquay Golf Club.

Although playing in the fourth foursome match of the morning series, the pairing of Andrew Clotworthy & Colin George got the Tehidy team off to a flying start with an 8&6 win, which the young 'guns' Tom Rowe and Justin Barnard backed up with a one-hole victory in the opening foursome match.

When Ian Veale & Simon Knowles added a further point with a win on the 17th green, the outlook was looking promising for Club Captain, Terry Clotworthy.

Yet more drama was to unfold in the remaining foursome, with the pairing of Peter Simmons & Martin Langford standing on the 18th tee with a one-hole disadvantage. With the St. Enodoc pairing of Joe Cruse & Antony Nash safely on the green in two shots on the Par 4, 18th hole it was looking ominous for the Tehidy pair as Simmons struck their approach shot just short of the green, onto the front fringe. Step up Martin Langford as he holed a 30 foot putt across and down the slope for a priceless birdie and a halved match, to secure a 3 1/2 – 1/2 lead, which left the Tehidy team requiring three more points from a possible eight on offer in the afternoon singles.

Barnard led the team out for the singles, but came up against an inspired Jack Irwin, who fired three birdies in the first four holes to command a four-hole lead. Despite battling hard Barnard eventually lost on the 17th. Tom Rowe was next in line, and he was drawn against the former County Champion, Antony Nash. In a match which contained ten birdies it was Rowe who came out on top, with a hard earned one-hole victory. Colin George was next to step up against another former County Champion, in Steve Chapman, who helped his team to close the gap with a win on the 17th green.

Match four witnessed a re-match of last years singles, with Ian Veale once again playing Joe Cruse, and the outcome was to be the same as Veale prevailed, winning on the 16th green, (one more point r'qd) which was to be delivered by the ever dependable Peter Simmons, who accounted for Simon Welch on the 15th green (game, set & match).

With the matches involving Langford, Knowles & Clotworthy standing at all square, all square & 1 up respectively the players agreed to settle upon three halved matches, which saw the score-line finish up at 8 – 4 3/4.

Tehidy Park will now face Perranporth in the semi-final, with Trevose facing West Cornwall in the other half of the draw. Both matches will take place in the New Year.

For a full list of results visit