Mens County Championship

Peter Simmons and Ian Veale commenced their Quarter-Final match by sharing the first four holes and halving the fifth before Simmons pounced on three consecutive bogeys from Veale to reach the turn leading by three holes.

Veale managed to reduce the lead by making a birdie three on the dog-leg 10th hole, but another mistake on the 13th hole enabled Simmons to regain his three-hole lead, and a potential match winning position with just five holes to play.

A three putt from Simmons on the 14th hole gifted Veale a life-line, and when Veale won the 16th hole the lead was just one. Veale then delivered a further blow to Simmons’ semi-final aspirations when he birdied the long par-3 17th to square the match.

With the 18th hole playing 469 yards straight into the wind the tee-shot would prove pivotal and Simmons was dealt a cruel blow when his well struck tee shot found a bush, forcing a penalty drop. Although Veale had already hit a poor tee shot he was able to advance it forward, before finding the putting surface with a 4-iron. Simmons also found the green with his shot, but had crucially played one shot more. From distance Veale only managed to get his putt to within 8 feet of the hole, but when Simmons missed, Veale then converted to secure his place in the semi-final.

The Semi-Final pitted Veale against Mike Reynard, a re-match of the second round match from last year, which Veale won. With the match delicately poised at all square on the 11th tee Veale made three consecutive bogeys to afford Reynard a three-hole lead. Any hopes of repeating his morning heroics were to be shattered when Reynard holed from 15 feet and 5 feet respectively on holes 14 and 15, both for halves.

With Veale playing an error strewn 16th hole it was to be Reynard who would this time be the victor to set up a Final showdown with Matthew Richards of West Cornwall. (For those of you who recognise the name Matthew works in the Tehidy Pro-Shop on a Saturday morning, but not tomorrow!)