Frank Wills Salver – Final

The teams of Tehidy Park & Newquay arrived at West Cornwall Golf Club with hopes high for success in the prestigious Frank Wills Salver. Yet with their great expectations for the day neither side could have bargained for what was to unravel during the day.

Very little was to separate the two teams as the action got underway, and by the time they took lunch the match was evenly poised with both teams holding a one-hole lead in one match a-piece, a two-hole lead in one match a-piece, with the remaining match all square.

Despite commencing the afternoon round on time the incessant rain brought about an abrupt halt as the first match reached a waterlogged fourth green. With the swift arrival of Head Green Keeper, Keith Kemp and one of his team, Steve Elliott (ably assisted by Newquay Head Professional, Chris Gill and the TPGC Sec/Man) rakes were turned into squeegees as they set about making the putting surfaces playable.

Their efforts combined with a slight break in the rain enabled the match to continue, and first blood was claimed by Tehidy with a 4&3 win in the top match. It wasn't long before the score-line was extended in Tehidy's favour as match three also recorded a victory by a margin of 3&2.

Meanwhile Charlie Phillips and partner Keith Entwistle, playing 'young bucks' David O'Mahony & Bob Cope of Tehidy were strutting the 18th hole in match two with the score all square. The Tehidy pairing made a bogey five, which afforded the Newquay pair two putts from 20 feet to claim a 1-hole victory…….however, when Phillips missed from 4 feet for the winning par, extra holes would be the order of the day.

Newquay notched up their first point when match five secured a win on the 15th green at the same time as match two were halving the first extra hole (Phillips missing another opportunity from 4 feet for the win). In the process of playing the second extra hole Newquay secured match four on the 16th green to turn all attention back to match two. Another halved hole on the 38th not only meant another hole would be required, but with the 25 minute delay earlier in the round daylight was now becoming a serious threat.

Both pairs drove off on the par 4 third hole with everybody watching struggling to pick up the flight of the ball. Ten minutes later yet another halved hole meant the match would require a 40th hole, but the players involved called time on the match, which would now require adjudication from the County Representatives and Team Captains.

In what was deemed to be the fairest outcome the Team Captains accepted that the Salver would be shared for seemingly only the second time in its 47 year history.

Thanks must go to all concerned for their courage and commitment to play and caddie on what was an unpredictable day of weather. In addition the respective Club Captains thanked their respective members for venturing out to support, as well as the County officials and West Cornwall green staff for their efforts on the day.

The Frank Wills Salver will be held by both Clubs for six months each.


Martin Trewhella & Greg Taylor beat Nigel Dunstan & Matt Dixon 4&3

David O'Mahony & Bob Cope (level after 39 holes) Charlie Phillips & Keith Entwhistle

Justin Harrington & Mike Eddy beat Brian Green & Carl White 3&2

Martyn Churchill & Andrew Teuton lost to Sean Williams & Dick Rundle 3&2

Ryan Reed & Ryan Curnow lost to Dave Pryor & Sean Allen 4&3