Frank Wills Salver – Rd 1

New Club Captain, Mike Eddy led his Frank Wills Salver team into battle with Newquay in a first round tie at Perranporth, and as is often the case with any match against Newquay it turned out to be a titanic battle.

A somewhat benign day, especially at Perranporth, welcomed the teams, and this enabled golf of high quality. David O'Mahony & Andy Kearney opened with birdies at the first and second holes, with their birdie being matched on the second hole, before their opposition also birdied the third !

To the match itself and leading out the Tehidy team was the pairing of Martin Trewhella & Greg Taylor, who were always in control of their game, building a three-hole lead after the front nine. Standing on the Par 3 16th tee the advantage was two holes, with Newquay applying some pressure with a tee shot to within six feet of the hole. Step up Taylor, who struck his tee shot to four feet, and after Newquay missed their birdie attempt Trewhella made no mistake of his to claim the first point on offer.

However, Newquay very quickly drew things level with a handsome 5&4 win over the two Ryans…..Curnow & Reed in match three. With Tehidy well down in match four (Nigel James & Mark Prouse), but comfortably ahead in match five (Martyn Churchill & Justin Harrington) attention turned to the match involving O'Mahony & Kearney, who had led by three holes after the 12th, only to lose three holes in a row. The Par 3 16th was halved when Newquay chipped in from off the green, as was hole 17. Kearney's tee shot on the 18th found a lie in deep grass, but a fine escape from a determined O'Mahony saw both teams on the Par 4 18th in regulation. Kearney struck a positive putt, which rolled just far enough away to be marked. Newquay with a putt to win…….but it stayed above ground for a conceeded par, before O'Mahony calmly holed out from two feet to force extra holes !

By this stage Tehidy had claimed the match involving Churchill & Harrington on the 14th hole, whilst James & Prouse were back to 1 down playing the 17th…….still all to play for.

The first extra hole (19th) was halved in Pars after both pairs had played the hole in regulation. Two good tee shots found the fairway on the Par 5 2nd hole (20th), before Newquay showed the first sign of nerves with a mis-hit second shot. Step up David O'Mahony, who struck a second shot that was as sweet as honey (sorry, but it was !!) which landed on the green before ending its journey to within 12 feet of the hole. An overhit third shot from Newquay ran through the green, and after a chip back onto the green and a missed par putt attempt a concession was made to enable Tehidy to claim an unassailable 3 – 1 lead.

Upon reaching the clubhouse after the walk back from the 2nd green the news was that James & Prouse had managed to fight back to all square after the 18th, which ended in the pairs taking a half to give a final score-line of 3.5 – 1.5, setting up a second round match with Trethorne on the weekend of 31 Oct / 1 Nov.

The St. Austell Brewery Man of the Match, winning a can of Tribute Ale is undoubtedly David O'Mahony !!

Results of other matches can be seen by following this Cornwall Golf Union link

Attention now turns to the CAW Cornwall Bowl first round match which is to be played this coming Saturday, 17 October at St. Enodoc (Holywell Course) against St. Kew.