Gammon Trophy Semi-Final

In an intensely close fought match the Tehidy Ladies lost out on a place in the Final to St. Mellion by a score-line of 4 – 3, with the deciding match narrowly losing out on the 19th hole…….

The teams arrived at The Point at Polzeath to find a golf course presented in ‘tip top’ condition, with the greens quick and true. The sun shone throughout the day, and with little wind to speak of the day was set up well for some fine performances.

Whilst played in handicap order the matches are played off scratch, and therefore it was always going to be a tall order for the Tehidy Park Ladies in the first two matches, with Rachael Lloyd-Phillips (4) playing against England International, Sammie Giles (+3), and Gloria Sandow (7) playing Sammie’s sister, Megan (2), and so it proved to be the case with the Giles sisters both winning on the 13th hole to establish a 2 – 0 lead for St. Mellion.

Despite teeing off in the final singles match, Katie Sandow was the third match to finish, and secured a point for Tehidy Park, with a huge win on the 12th hole (8&6), with a display of golf that overpowered her opponent, Sam Peach. (St. Mellion 2 – 1 Tehidy Park).

The two point gap was to open up again in St. Mellion’s favour when Donna Weeks was victorious against Hilary Wood. Although Tehidy Park were up in two of the remaining three matches, St. Mellion were three up with four holes to play in the third, and looking comfortable at that stage.

Cue the beauty of match-play, and team sport, as first Christine Williams won holes 15 & 16 to secure a 3&2 win over Sue Wenmoth, which was to be followed by Lyn Newby (nee Brookes) recording a 1 hole victory against Lou McCartney to level the score-line at three matches a piece !

Whilst Dee Peake was three up with four to play, the determined figure of Karen Langford was making inroads to the deficit, and now found herself on the 18th tee one down, needing to win the hole to force sudden death; a challenge to which she was a match to, meaning extra holes would decide this semi-final.

The first hole at The Point is a Par 5, and despite being some distance from the hole both players found the green in regulation. Langford’s putt from 40 feet was judged well and came to rest within three feet of the hole. Peake played an equally good putt, to be slightly closer than Langford.       Langford for Par first, and with slight movement evident on the putt her Par effort was to catch the edge of the hole before agonisingly staying above ground.   Peake made no mistake with her putt to her huge relief, and that of her team mates as they celebrated a berth in the Final at Trevose on September 11.

The match was played in a great spirit, with the Tehidy Park Ladies Captain, Anne Fitzhenry wishing the St. Mellion team all the very best in the Final, where they will play the winners of Perranporth & Launceston.