CTC Quarter-Final

The teams of Tehidy Park & Perranporth turned up at West Cornwall Golf Club in the dark as they waited for the time to tick around to eight o’clock and daylight !  As with the match against Truro in the first round, it was felt that there was little to separate the two teams, with the bookies making Perranporth slight favourites, on what was a bitterly cold day, with winds out of the East.

When it was time to commence it was the pairing of Robert MacGregor & Ian Veale that got proceedings underway against Simon Knowles & Chris Llewelyn. After just 7 holes the Tehidy pair had raced to a 5-hole lead; and by 10:30 a.m. they were back in the warmth of the clubhouse after Knowles graciously conceded the game on the 14th green as Veale stood over a 4-foot putt, knowing that they could take two putts.

Parity was restored for Perranporth when Adam Taylor & Sandy Kirton wrapped up a comfortable victory over James Barnard & Martin Langord (1 – 1).        The Simmons brothers, Richard & Peter were drawn against Tristan Gurd & Tom Benney in what would prove to be a close fought affair, and when Benney struck a pure 6 iron to within 15 feet of the pin on the eighteenth hole it would prove enough to claim the third point of the day, winning by one-hole.

Once again the match would be levelled when Matthew Lock & Justin Barnard claimed the scalps of County players Conor Wilson & Chris Fleming on the 17th hole (2 – 2).

Tehidy Park were given a further boost when Andrew Clotworthy, returning to the fold after missing the first round victory over Truro, secured the three-quarters of a point on offer for winning the 9th man singles contest against Perranporth stalwart Ian McKechnie, which would mean that Tehidy Park needed to share the points in the eight afternoon singles matches to secure a berth in the Semi-Final.

Tehidy Park set about the task by sending out MacGregor & Veale in the top two singles, with the big man bagging the first point by once again defeating Llewelyn (3.75 – 2).     Veale came up against an inspired opponent in the form of Gurd, who was feeding off his morning victory in the foursomes. Veale was never behind in the contest, however couldn’t get more than one hole ahead at any stage in the contest, and when Gurd uncharacteristically missed from three feet on the 17th green Veale was relieved to be standing on the 18th tee all square. The 18th hole played directly into the Easterly wind and from his tee shot Gurd replicated the shot of his partner from the morning foursomes, finding the green 15 feet from the flag. Veale also found the green with his 7-iron approach, but now faced a putt of 35 feet. Veale managed to get his first putt to a ‘gimme’ distance and could only watch as Gurd putted for a birdie and the match. It wasn’t to be for Gurd, and they shook hands for a halved match, with Gurd’s performance drawing high praise from Veale. (4.25 – 2.5)

Perranporth seemed inspired by Gurd, as first Fleming defeated Langford, showing the sort of golf that played him to a place in the final of the County Championship in 2013, eventually finishing two-under par on the day (4.25 – 3.5). Next was Knowles, who comfortably beat James Barnard to give Perranporth the lead (4.25 – 4.5) and then Benney, who completed a personal double over Richard Simmons (4.25 – 5.5).    Resilience for Tehidy Park was offered in the form of Lock, playing against his old team mates of last year. Lock rolled back the years and produced a flawless display to be three-under par in beating Kirton (5.25 – 5.5).

Sadly for Tehidy Park it would be the last points they would win as in the remaining two singles matches Taylor beat Simmons (P), and the 2015 County Champion, Conor Wilson defeated Justin Barnard to seal a 7.5 – 5.25 win for Perranporth.

Both Captains thanked the hosts, West Cornwall for their hospitality, and their teams for the sporting fashion in which the match was played amongst good friends.

For Club Captain, David Ryder, attention will now turn to the quarter-final of the CAW Cornwall Bowl, which is to be played in the New Year (8 January) against The Point at Polzeath at Perranporth.