Frank Wills Salver – Q/F

Following a second round victory in the Frank Wills Salver, Club Captain Peter Simmons, and his team returned to Perranporth Golf Club for a Quarter Final match with defending champions West Cornwall.   As can sometimes be the case at Perranporth the teams were greeted by a strong wind which was consistently blowing at 35 mph and at times gusting to 60 mph.

It was clear from the start that it would prove to be a battle of attrition as carry bags and trolleys were being blown over !   Whoever could make the least mistakes or will the ball into the hole would undoubtedly emerge as the victors in the conditions.

West Cornwall edged ahead with a hard fought victory in the top foursome, winning on the 17th hole after holing putts of 10 feet on both the 16th and 17th greens.    They would then double that lead as the Cameron brothers proved too strong for the Tehidy Park pairing of Mark Prouse & Mike Eddy in the third foursome match on the course.

The tried and tested pairing of Bob Cope & David O’Mahony were engaged in a tight battle in the second match, and when O’Mahony holed from two feet to win the 18th hole the match was heading into extra holes.     Behind them the news was better as match four stood all square on the 17th, but with the West Cornwall pairing having to play three off the tee after a lost tee shot, combined with the Tehidy pairing being 1 up on the 15th hole in the final match….. it was still a case of all to play for.

O’Mahony and Cope had the advantage on the 19th as both pairs were on the green in three shots, with Tehidy into 10 feet as West Cornwall stood over a 30 foot par attempt as the wind became ever stronger. As is so often the case in golf a match will come down to a holed/missed putt and when Lee Bushby stroked home his par attempt it was a case of now or never for Cope to keep the game alive. His attempt would threaten the hole but refuse to drop, which meant West Cornwall were now in possession of the three points required to go through to the semi-final.

As it happened it mattered not as Scott Downing & Danny Chambers contrived to lose the 17th hole despite their opponents having to play three off the tee, and when they halved the 18th hole the match score now stood at 4 – 0 in West Cornwall’s favour.

With Tehidy Park standing 1 up after 15 holes in the final foursome a half was taken which made for a final score-line of 4.5 – 0.5.

At the after dinner speeches the Tehidy Park Captain, Peter Simmons thanked his players and caddies for their efforts in a match that came at the end of a tough week for Tehidy Park with the passing of Club President, Philip Andrew.    Peter referenced the fact that Philip was ever present at team matches and would have been proud of all of the Tehidy Park contingent that battled so hard for the club.     Peter also acknowledged that West Cornwall had recently witnessed the passing of their own Club President, Malcolm Lack and noted that these sad events served to evidence that whilst we all strive to do our best to succeed……… at the end of the day it is just a game of golf !

Peter concluded by wishing the West Cornwall team all the very best as they seek to defend the title of Frank Wills Salver champions.


  • Chris Hoyle & Nigel James lost 2&1
  • David O’Mahony & Bob Cope lost 19th
  • Mark Prouse & Mike Eddy lost 6&5
  • Scott Downing & Danny Chambers lost 1 down
  • Steve Dawe & Andrew Teuton – Half